North Korea ‘planning another ballistic missile launch’ amid rising tensions with the US
NORTH Korea is planning to launch another intercontinental ballistic missile or intermediate range rocket test in the next two weeks, US officials have claimed.
Satellite images from Kim Jong-un’s missile test site have indicated activity in the area sparking fear that launch may be imminent.
The US has been watching the secretive state after it successfully launched an ICBM capable of reaching America’s mainland on July 4.
After the launch Kim Jong-un boasted that his nation could destroy the US.
Kim Jong-un supervising an intercontinental ballistic missile launch earlier this month
The dictator’s mouthpiece Rodong Sinmun said: “It will be as easy as a piece of cake for the [North] to wipe out the puppet forces… as we are now able to destroy even the US mainland across the ocean.”
The two officials also warned that North Korea has been to continuing to test components of a submarine-launch missile.
A North Korean Romeo-class submarine is said to be engaged in “unusual deployment activity” in the Sea of Japan.
But an assessment by US intelligence has suggested the programme remains in its early stages.
The news comes after a high ranking US military officer warned that North Korea’s deception techniques to mask their missile launches had grown in sophistication.
General Paul Selva, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate armed services committee: “I am reasonably confident in the ability of our intelligence community to monitor the testing but not the deployment of these missile systems.
“Kim Jong-un and his forces are very good at camouflage concealment and deception.”
When asked about whether the US would launch a pre–emptive military strike against the hermit kingdom, Mr Selva said: “I think we have to entertain that potential option. That would be a policy choice by the President of the United States to execute or not execute that option.”